Friday, September 23, 2011

My dream job

To be a marine Biologist
            To be a marine biologist, I have to take basic biology, zoology, chemistry, physics, biometrics, mathematics, and statistics are the most common ones, and basic ones to becoming a marine biologist.  Also, English is also important, because I have to record data and take notes.  I will need to go to the schools in pacific coast, where there are fisheries and biological oceanography.  There are a lot of schools and here are most of them: Fisheries at the University of Washington in Seattle; the University of California programs at San Diego (Scripps Institution of Oceanography), Davis, Santa Barbara, and Santa Cruz; the Department of Fisheries and Wildlife or Department of Oceanography at Oregon State University in Corvallis; and Humboldt State University in California.  Utah State University at Logan has a good program in freshwater aquatic biology and fisheries.+
  In the Midwest, strong schools in the aquatic sciences include the University of Michigan, Michigan State University, the University of Minnesota, and the University of Wisconsin.  On the East Coast, some of the schools that offer marine programs are the University of Miami, University of Rhode Island, University of Massachusetts, University of Georgia, the University of Maryland (Chesapeake Biological Lab),and Cornell. On the Gulf Coast, Texas A & M University has fisheries and wildlife program at its main campus and a strong program on marine biology at its Galveston campus. Other southern or Gulf universities include Louisiana State University and Auburn University in Alabama, which has a good aquaculture program.  There are a lot of them, but I don’t know which to choose.  For a degree, I would need a bachelor for a starting degree, and then I would later on need a PhD.  I would find actually no school that specializes in marine biology and I would have to go to places that have parts of it and move from Santa Cruz to Hawaii.   The employee for a marine biologist is not looking good, because not many people are hiring. 

2 comments:

  1. Damn, I've heard people wanting to be a marine biologist when for a career when they grow up, but I think you are one of the very few who actually look into it and take it seriously, yakno? Good job, it seems like you really have done a lot of research for yourself. Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Justin:
    I am a student in period 3 (Sutherland English 4P). I responded to this on marine biology for my Response Post.

    ReplyDelete